Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Iceni Magazine | October 26, 2020

Scroll to top

Top

Nearly 2,000 dogs estimated to suffer from chocolate poisoning this Christmas

Nearly 2,000 dogs estimated to suffer from chocolate poisoning this Christmas

Brand new research has uncovered that almost 2,000 dogs are expected to be treated for chocolate poisoning over the Christmas period this year.

Throughout 2016, there have been an estimated 6,609 cases of chocolate poisoning in dogs, which is a staggering 138% increase since 2014, and a 25% increase on last year.

Over a quarter (27%) of chocolate poisoning cases occur in December, at the height of the festive season, followed by the month that coincides with Easter.

The effects of chocolate poisoning are very serious and can be extremely dangerous to your dog. According to insurance provider AnimalFriends.co.uk, who commissioned the research, this type of poisoning can cost pet owners an average of £297 in vet bills.

Westley Pearson, Claims & Marketing Director at Animalfriends.co.uk commented: “If your dog has consumed a small amount of chocolate, you may find they experience vomiting or diarrhoea, either immediately or over the few hours after ingestion. Vomiting is a good sign, as it means your dog is getting rid of the poison, however you should still take your pet to your local vet.

“If your dog has eaten an excessive amount of chocolate, they may experience a feeling of restlessness and a sense of increased energy. This is followed by tremors, weakness and balance problems.

“It’s very important that as soon as your dog has eaten the chocolate, you get them examined by a vet. Symptoms such as seizures, muscle spasms and even comas can occur as a result of chocolate poisoning, so take every precaution you can.”

Chocolate isn’t the only danger to your dog this Christmas. Here is a list of the top things than can harm your pet over the festive period:

  • Bones– Even when cooked, animal bones can become brittle and splinter, causing severe internal issues for your pets. Turkey bones are especially dangerous as they’re hollow, meaning that they splinter whether cooked or raw.
  • Christmas Cake and Mince Pies– While humans love them, Christmas pies and cakes contain dried fruit such as raisins, which are toxic to dogs and can make them seriously ill. Not to mention the fact that they are usually extremely high in fat and possibly alcohol, which is a no-no for your furry friend.
  • Nuts– Nuts have become a Christmas favourite, but not only could these be a choking hazard for your dog, but some nuts can cause them to suffer from vomiting and diarrhoea. Smaller dogs are particularly susceptible to stomach upset or obstruction when consuming nuts such as walnuts or pecans.
  • Christmas trees– You should ensure that your tree is secured properly, as they are commonly knocked over by dogs and climbed by cats, which can potentially result in injury.
  • Pine needles– Ideally these should be cleaned up as soon as they drop because they can become embedded in paws and if left untreated may cause an infection.
  • Seasonal plants– Decorative Christmas plants like Mistletoe and Holly will give your dog extreme intestinal problems and abdominal pain if eaten, so should be kept well away from pets.
  • Tinsel and ribbons– While they look great draped over our picture frames, if decorations such as tinsel are eaten by our pets, they will not only cause stomach problems but your pet could choke on them, so keep them out of reach.

chocolate-poisoning_2

Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On FacebookVisit Us On InstagramCheck Our FeedVisit Us On Pinterest