These are life’s top 50 luxuries according to Brits
Freshly-laundered bedsheets, a long soak in the bath – and a takeaway have emerged among a list of life’s ‘little luxuries’, according to a study.
Researchers also found most Brits consider a posh loaf of bread, a cosy night in and a decent cup of tea made by someone else to be a special treat.
Escaping the office half an hour early, skipping an ad on YouTube and an extra shot in coffee are also guaranteed ways to give yourself a much-needed boost.
Even with all manner of high-tech gadgets on the top 50 list, nearly one in four Brits would prefer to get stuck into a good book or enjoy a luxurious dip in the bath over more lavish treats.
Worryingly, one in six claimed to NEVER indulge in ‘extravagant luxuries’.
Tim Davis, VP of Brand and Marketing at Small Luxury Hotels of the World, which commissioned the study, said: “In this cash-rich, time-poor world we now live in, it makes sense that people’s ultimate luxury is less materialistic and more experiential, placing value in the opportunity to stop, switch off and relax.
“The beauty of this is none of these small luxuries are expensive. What’s important is that we invest in the time to treat ourselves, wherever we are.
“With the New Year upon us, and with so many Brits denying themselves the little luxuries in life, we think 2018 should be the year we treat ourselves to the simple things which make us happy.”
The survey also found men are most likely to opt for a quiet night in, an extra shot in their coffee and a screening of their favourite film on TV when they need to indulge.
Women prefer a trip to the theatre, receiving a fresh bouquet of flowers and a catch-up with friends over lunch.
Despite these basic tastes, 46 per cent of those surveyed also admitted they crave a more luxurious lifestyle than the one they currently have.
Of those who are currently in a relationship, two thirds said their partner treats them to enough of their favourite small luxuries, though smitten husbands and boyfriends are more likely to be satisfied than their other halves.
Seventy one per cent of men in relationships said their partners treat them like kings, compared to 64 per cent of women who regularly receive the royal treatment, according to the OnePoll.com study.
Still, if couples found they were owed a treat from their partner, they would be most likely to choose a night out on the tiles together over a romantic massage or an offer to do the dishes.
If money were no object, with all the world’s luxuries open to them, 28 per cent would go on their dream holiday and one fifth would take a trip around the world.
Tim Davis added: “The research proves just how far the sentiment of luxury has come over the 26 years we’ve been in business.
“Our small hotels know it’s the thoughtful gestures that count and make a guest’s stay really special, as well as providing a culturally relevant setting in which people can take a step back and enjoy life’s small luxuries.”
TOP 50 LIFE’S LITTLE LUXURIES:
1. Freshly laundered bed linen
2. Time to read a good book
3. Getting a takeaway
4. Having a long soak in the bath
5. A fresh haircut
6. A cosy night in
7. A short break in a hotel or B&B
8. Watching the sunset/sunrise
9. A lunch date with a friend
10. When someone makes you a nice cup of tea/coffee
11. Receiving a bouquet flowers
12. Five minutes to yourself
13. Luxury quilted toilet paper
14. Catching your favourite film on TV
15. A glass of champagne
16. Getting your car valeted
17. Buying fresh artisan bread
18. Using a premium perfume/cologne/fragrance
19. Having a manicure
20. Going to the theatre
21. Receiving breakfast in bed
22. Enjoying a fine wine / whiskey
23. Buying tickets to a concert
24. Buying yourself flowers
25. Leaving work half-an-hour early
26. Receiving a hand-written letter
27. Keeping an empty seat beside you on public transport
28. Getting tickets to a sporting event
29. A picnic
30. Buying new makeup
31. Paying for someone to clean your home
32. Hitting the snooze button
33. Applying a facemask
34. Ordering the most extravagant dessert on the menu
35. When the clocks go back
36. Hearing your favourite song on the radio
37. Having a blow-dry
38. Finding a plug socket on public transport
39. A lazy bike ride
40. Ordering the most expensive main course on the menu
41. Skipping the ads on Youtube videos
42. Splashing out on expensive toiletries
43. Spending time away from your phone
44. Buying a new candle
45. Reading a magazine
46. Getting a ride in a sports car
47. An extra shot in your coffee
48. Upgrading to premium seats at the cinema
49. Being invited to corporate hospitality
50. Getting 4G coverage unexpectedly