Valentine’s Gifts from Paxton & Whitfield
Paxton & Whitfield, the UK’s oldest cheesemonger, has a great range of cheese gifts to celebrate Valentine’s Day this year.
Cheese lovers can choose a delicious heart-shaped Coeur de Neufchâtel or a luxurious version of this cheese, a Coeur de Neufchâtel aux Truffes. There is also a selection of fine gift packs that are perfect for sharing à deux and cheese serving accessories with a romantic touch. Then finally, to top it off there’s a delicious house Champagne, perfect for accompanying fine cheese. All you need to do is decide which items to buy for your heart’s desire.
All the items are available from Paxton & Whitfield’s four shops in Jermyn Street – Piccadilly, Cale Street – Chelsea Green, Bath and Stratford upon Avon, as well as online at paxtonandwhitfield.co.uk.
- Coeur de Neufchâtel PDO* (£6.50/ 200g) – Hand-picked for its unique flavour and superb quality, this heart shaped delicious artisan cheese dates back over 1,000 years to 1035 when Hugues I of Gournay gave it to the Abbey of Sigy as a tithe. During the Hundred Years War, legend tells that local girls from Neufchâtel-en-Bray offered the cheese to English soldiers, who thought that the cheese tasted like heaven and that the bloomy white cheeses, shaped like a heart, were angel wings. This makes it the perfect cheese for romantics to enjoy on Valentine’s Day. This smooth, creamy artisan cheese is made from unpasteurised cow’s milk, in upper Normandy, France, and takes its name from the town where it is made, Neufchâtel. Similar to Camembert in texture and taste, it has a richer flavour with a hint of mushrooms and a soft white velvety rind. It is the oldest cheese to be made in Normandy and since 1977 it has been a protected cheese, being given the Protected Designated Origin (PDO) status.
- Coeur de Neufchâtel PDO* aux Truffes (£10.25/225g) – This delicious heart-shaped cheese is made even more special with the addition of black summer truffles that have been mixed with creamy Brillat Savarin cheese. This moreish blend is then spread between two halves of the Coeur de Neufchâtel to create a decadent cheese sandwich. Perfect for a Valentine’s supper. NOTE: This cheese can only be ordered from the shops.
- After Dinner Indulgence (£34.00) – A delightful gift that makes the perfect end to a romantic meal. It contains: Stilton Pot with Monbazillac Jelly (135g), Original Oaties (150g), Taylor’s LBV Port (20cl), Rose & Lemon Turkish Delight in Dark Chocolate (150g).
- Red Handled Cheese Knife (£21.00) – An attractive cheese knife with a red coloured nylon handle made for Paxton & Whitfield by Claude Dozorme, the famous French Laguiole knife maker. The taper ground stainless steel blade is branded with Paxton’s name. It makes the perfect gift for a cheese enthusiast.
- Raclette Candle Heaters (£30.00) – Add a romantic touch to your evening with this pack of two candle heated, individual raclette heaters. You don’t have to limit yourself to Raclette though, all cheeses are suitable if they are in thin slices so why not experiment and have some fun together.
- Paxton & Whitfield Champagne Grand Cru (£40.00) – The perfect way to round off your evening is with a bottle of Paxton & Whitfield’s specially selected Champagne. Chosen by Paxton’s wine buyer for the unique flavours that make it suitable to eat with cheese, this Champagne uses the Pinot Noir grape to give great depth and a full flavour.
* PDO – Protected Designation of Origin, for products that are produced, processed and prepared within a particular geographical area, and with features and characteristics that must be due to that area.
All prices quoted do not include postage and packing. For Valentine’s orders for UK mainland pre-Valentine’s Day delivery orders must be received by Tuesday 12 February 2019.