Seeing the Northern Lights, travelling on the Orient Express – and going to Chernobyl are among the most sought after travel experiences
Seeing the Northern Lights, travelling on the Orient Express – and going to Chernobyl are among the most sought after travel experiences.
A poll of 2,000 adults revealed the nation’s travel dreams, with the natural light display predominantly seen in high-latitude regions topping the list.
Walking along the Great Wall of China and paying respects at Auschwitz also feature.
Many also dream of going on safari in Africa or cruising around the Caribbean.
But the average adult has only managed to tick off three ‘dream’ trips so far.
A spokeswoman for Lottoland, which commissioned the study to launch its new ‘Passport to Paradise’ competition, said: “Most British adults have a travel bucket list – those experiences they want to tick off before they die.
“Travelling to far-flung destinations and experiencing some of what the wonderful world has to offer has become more popular than ever before.
“Brits are now ditching traditional sunny beach holidays in favour of more remote destinations which offer never-seen-before activities, sights and scenery.”
The study also found a trip to Disneyworld in Florida, a stay in an over-water bungalow in the Maldives and island hopping in Greece are on the average person’s travel wish list.
While many want to see Japan’s Mount Fuji and Easter Island as well as climbing to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
Animal lovers want to swim with sea turtles in Hawaii, bathe elephants in Thailand, visit the orangutan sanctuary in Borneo and see the puffins on Lundy Island.
Those craving action and adventure want to scuba dive in the Great Barrier Reef, swim with dolphins in Orlando and camp in the Rocky Mountains.
It also emerged the average adult reckons they’ll achieve 11 of their desired destinations before they’re unable to travel anymore.
And almost half are proactive in ticking items off their travel bucket list, with seven in 10 adults open to new experiences.
However, despite four in 10 claiming they are ‘well-travelled’ – just seven per cent of Brits have visited more than five continents to date.
The study also found that while beach breaks are still popular for a fifth of adults, 19 per cent like to explore new cities.
Eleven days is considered the perfect length of time to be away on holiday, and despite the desire to try something new, an overwhelming 77 per cent of adults have been known to return to the same holiday destination.
However, Brits do want to try new things but 53 per cent claim a lack of money is holding them back from travelling to more exotic destinations.
A further 16 per cent of those polled, via OnePoll, say they have too many responsibilities to travel the world, while 19 per cent don’t have the time to dedicate to planning an adventurous holiday.
Passport to Paradise is offering Lottoland customers the chance to win a luxury round-the-world trip and a once-in-a-lifetime chance to drop in on all their dream destinations.
A spokeswoman said: “This study demonstrates how much Brits want to see, experience and soak up other cultures and sights.
“Sometimes real life, and in particular a lack of money, can get in the way of making these holidays happen.
“For some, having an exotic trip miles away can seem like a pipe-dream.”
To find out more about the Passport to Paradise prize draw visit https://www.lottoland.co.uk/
TOP 50 SOUGHT AFTER TRAVEL EXPERIENCES
1. See the Northern Lights
2. Travel on the Orient Express
3. Drive Route 66
4. Walk along the Great Wall of China
5. Go on safari in Africa
6. Go on a cruise around the Caribbean
7. Pay your respects at Auschwitz
8. Go to Disneyworld in Florida
9. Stay in an over-water bungalow in the Maldives
10. Have a ride in a helicopter over the Grand Canyon
11. See Mount Fuji in Japan
12. Go island hopping in Greece
13. Visit the Seven Wonders of the World
14. Go to a casino in Las Vegas
15. See a bear in Canada
16. Swim in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland
17. See Mount Vesuvius and Pompeii
18. Travel anywhere on a first class private jet
19. Visit the orangutan sanctuary in Borneo
20. Step foot on all seven continents
21. Climb Machu Picchu
22. Swim with Sea Turtles in Hawaii
23. Go to the top of the Eiffel Tower
24. Go whale watching in California
25. Cross the Golden Gate Bridge
26. See icebergs in Greenland
27. Visit Easter Island
28. Stay in an ice hotel in Norway
29. Visit the Hobbit set in New Zealand
30. Float in the Dead Sea
31. Eat in a Michelin starred restaurant on holiday
32. Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reef
33. Swim with dolphins in Orlando
34. Visit Ayers Rock/Uluru
35. See Christ the Redeemer in Brazil
36. Visit the WWII Battlefields
37. See Father Christmas in Lapland
38. Drive the Pacific Coast Highway
39. Travel alone just for the experience (not work)
40. Climb the Empire State Building
41. See a performance at the Sydney Opera House
42. Bathe elephants in Thailand
43. Visit Chernobyl
44. Stay in the underwater hotel in Dubai
45. Climb Table Mountain in South Africa
46. Camp in the Rocky Mountains
47. Watch sea turtles hatch in Borneo
48. See the puffins on Lundy Island
49. Go to Dubrovnik to see the Game of Thrones set
50. Go fishing in Alaska