Highball Climbing Centre To Host Major Youth Climbing Competition
- The Little Flash 2017 – the country’s most exciting Youth Bouldering Competition
- Youngsters to compete on UK’s biggest climbing wall
The Little Flash – the UK’s biggest independent Youth Climbing Championship arrives at Highball Climbing Centre on Saturday 22nd July – giving climbers the opportunity to test their abilities on the DMM Competition Wall, one of the country’s biggest climbing walls.
The Little Flash is unique from other climbing competitions as it operates with an adult format, giving junior athletes up to the age of 17 a taste of what future competitions hold.
The Open Youth Bouldering Competition features the following stages:
- A qualification round where 20 problems will be attempted in two hours
- Followed by a Grand Final per age category
- The top four males and females from each age category become finalists and experience a full competition process in front of a large crowd with isolation and timed ascents with a four minute countdown.
Cash prizes are available for all individual finalists plus the top three teams.
Mike Surtees, Highball Climbing Centre’s Managing Director says: “The 2016 event was a huge success, seeing 50 young competitors from across the country through our doors which is great to put East Anglia and our climbing wall on the map. It’s the biggest event for youngsters in our calendar year and we are expecting over 70 youths this year.”
Following feedback in 2016, The Little Flash is going to be a one day event with revised age categories to align with the International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC);
- Youth A (Born 2000/2001)
- Youth B (Born 2002/2003)
- Youth C (Born 2004/2005 & younger).
This year’s event takes place at Highball Climbing Centre, Norwich on Saturday 22nd July 2017 at 10.00am.
All participants must have appropriate climbing experience but climbers from across the UK are welcome in this open competition. Entry is £10.00 (Includes registration, day pass, competition entry and a welcome pack) and junior climbers up to the age of 17 can enter. Full terms and conditions are available here.
Spectators are welcome any time. Come along and be inspired by climbing – now an Olympic sport!
Sponsored by Scarpa, Organic, Friction Labs and The Big Flash Climbing Festival. Full details and online registration, visit The Little Flash